Annual Report for School Council 2017/2018
Somerset Drive Public School September 9th, 2018 date
Dear Parents, Guardians and Community members,
On behalf of the school council, welcome to the 2018/2019 school year at Somerset Drive Public School! We hope that this school year is as memorable and enjoyable as it has been in past years.
This letter briefly describes the school council activities for the previous school year 2017/2018.
The School Council met on a monthly basis, with the dates being as follows: Oct 05th, 2017; Nov 2, 2017; Dec. 14th ,2017; Jan 18th, 2018; Feb 15th, 2018; March 22, 2018; April 11th, 2018 and May 30th, 2018. June*, 2018.
June 's get together was a social year end get together only, not official meeting.
The purpose of the school council is to work closely with the school staff to assist in meeting the needs of the children and school community as a whole. We had a successful year and the opportunity to partner with Somerset school in a variety of ways. The main fundraisers to raise funds for the school was the weekly pizza days (that was run by School Council and parent volunteers).
With those funds we were able to assist the school with the following purchases/ subsidies/ events;
- Supplemented cost of Scientists in the school programs
- Donated $200 to each classroom for supplies/ extra items related to health wellness and STEM activites
- Organized a very successful family Movie night for families on February 8th, 2018 in the school gym
- Supplemented costs for field trips at each grade level
- Supplemented costs for Purchase Makerspace equipment for the Learning Commons in the library
- Supplemented costs for Purchase of technology equipment in the classrooms
- Funded and assisted with the Somerset "Move-a-thon" in March 2018. A successful school event with donations going to the local food bank.
- Subsidized costs for Cross-country Track and Field
- Subsidized purchase of Somerset Team Jersey Sport Shirts
- Organized the Somerset Family Night, held May 10th, 2018; this included a free family dinner in the school gym followed by a workshop for both kids and adults by Arts Express on mindful movement by Arts Express. This was followed by separate activities for adults (presentation on ways parents can help kids with stress and anxiety)
- Funded the Grade 5 graduation trip
In addition, we sold Somerset T shirts and hoodies for a small profit and to be build school team spirit.
We have been fortunate to have a dedicated group working on our school council. We would like to recognize and thank the school council from last year for all of their hard work, commitment and achievements.
Last year's school council consisted of;
2017/2018 Elected Positions
Chair – Usha Goel
Treasurer –Diane Wong
Communication Officer – Emily Krbec
Pizza Coordinator/Fundraiser – Erica Mason
Members at Large
Marina Willats – Principal
Kevin McDonald – Teacher
Evelyn Aubin - Teacher
We have an election for elected officials at the first school council meeting and this has been set for Sept 19th, 2018. School Council needs committed parents and volunteers. Somerset's pizza program is run by School Council. If you are interested in participating in this years school council please contact Principal Marina Willats. The school council would love to have new parents join for another successful school year. All parents and guardians of children at Somerset school are welcome to attend and participate in these meetings.
There is an attached School Council Financial Statement for your information.
Should you have any questions or comments on the school council, they can be directed to Principal Marina Willats.
Chairs of 2017/ 2018 Somerset Drive School Council
2017-2018 Annual Financial Statement.pdf
Annual Report - 2017-2018.docx