French Immersion Resources
How does French Immersion
French immersion integrates language instruction and content area
instruction. Students learn the French language, they learn about the French
language and they learn through the French language.
- Learning the language
enables students to read, speak, write and
listen in French.
- Students learn about the language
when they study French as a content unto itself.
- Students learn through
language when they use French to solve problems,
understand concepts and create
How do I know if my child is
suitable for the French Immersion program?
Children who are enrolled in the French Immersion program demonstrate a
wide variety of characteristics such as:
- enjoys language;
- listens effectively (e.g. can retell or explain a story or event in
- plays with language (e.g. enjoys rhyming and opposite games);
- enjoys new words (e.g. repeats and uses new vocabulary
- focuses on a story, conversation and activity for at least five to
- handles new situations using positive coping strategies;
- is able to communicate his/her difficulties when necessary;
- demonstrates curiosity and a willingness to explore, experiment
and make new connections;
- demonstrates a positive attitude toward challenging
These are only some of the characteristics of French Immersion students
and every child is unique!
Note: The level of French will vary from one child to
another in the same way as performance in mathematics, for example, will vary
from child to child. Some students speak French making many mistakes while
others might be taken for mother-tongue French speakers.