November 12, 2019
Dear Willow Way P.S. Families:
It is with great sadness that we inform you of the death of one of our former students, Mohammed Abdalamear age 10, who died November 4, 2019, after a lengthy illness. He was a beloved student who had attended Willow Way since Junior Kindergarten. He will be remembered as a caring, respectful, funny student with a huge smile. He loved Spider-Man and had his own YouTube channel which his classmates enjoyed. A funeral has already taken place.
I encourage you to provide your child with an opportunity to discuss this death in terms of your personal family beliefs. If your child is already aware or you decide to share this information, here are some ways you can help your child deal with their feelings and reactions:
- Acknowledge your child's grief and the emotional upset.
- Be available to your child. If you don't know the right thing to say, just listen. Acknowledge that we don't always have answers to why these things happen.
- Provide a reassuring environment in which your child feels comfortable expressing his or her thoughts and feelings.
- Encourage your child to deal with the death in the way that's most comfortable for him or her. Some children are open about their feelings, while others prefer not to talk about them or may only want to talk to their peers.
- Acknowledge that your child may continue to feel the impact of Mohammed's death for some time to come. Help your child understand that there's no time limit on grieving.
If your child has recently experienced the loss of a family member or friend, Mohammed's death may result in additional upset.
It's important to remember staff at the school will also be deeply affected by this loss. It may help your child to know that the staff at our school share in their sadness.
Counselling staff are available at the school if you feel that your child needs support. Please contact the school at 905-567-0237 if you have concerns about your child. Thank you for your support and understanding during this difficult time.