#BCSS 50 (Anniversary/ Reunion Weekend May 26 - 28, 2017)
Meeting #5 Notes
Date: Thursday, Jan. 26, 2017
Attending: Mike Bowman, Sue Fernane, Beverley Edgar, Susan Hood, Dave Hebert, Jay Mathers,, Monique Fischer-Anderson, Jennifer Goheen, Mike Gauley, Sandy Hubble, Stephanie Szumlanzki, Victor Szumlanzki, Doug McLeod,
· May 26, Friday night – on track with several local restaurants willing to support the event (possibilities include advertising, gift cards, hosting musical acts…); Year/Class representatives may wish to organize events for their groups at one or more of these venues
· May 27, Saturday night – Brampton Curling Club is available for a dinner/dance (60's/70's Theme); some set-up (e.g. stage) can begin Friday, even though the club is technically unavailable at this time
· Decision to make the Curling Club event "the main social event" and limit the number of tickets
· Website: Will be co-ordinated between Paul Freire and David Spencer (and possibly Tim Szumlanski?). Wish is to have it operational by February 10.
· Database has been organized. Sandy Hubble to coordinate update with Website developers
· Working Groups – There will by and large be no working groups because there are no workers
Reunion will be drastically simplified until/unless more volunteers come forward
· Mike Gauley to develop new Facebook page
· Mike Gauley to coordinate community announcements ASAP
· Terry Whitmell/Mike Bowman to be responsible for all activities at the school
· Mike Bowman to research school funding for website on a "loan" basis
· Mike Bowman to research something else
· Jay Mathers to finalize details for Saturday night event
3. Action Items for Next Meeting, Thursday, February 16, 2017
· Finalize Website
· Finalize new Facebook page
· Organize database of alumni names and emails by year; obtain class reps.
50th Anniversary Committee Meeting Minutes – January 10 th , 2017, 7:00 p.m.
1. Introductions around the table.
2. Jay provided an update on how the committee has evolved since its inception.
3. Key needs right now: website with support from social media and database
management. Right now, we are not on track due to so many key members
pulling out from the committee. A meeting has been scheduled for January 26 th
where it will be decided whether to move forward (or not).
4. Jay reviewed the proposed program of events:
1. Year and group events
1. Unveiling of memorial
2. Reunion from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
-it was noted that no one wants a big, formal opening ceremony
-Year/Decade/Snake Tables going around and inside the Cafeteria
representing years past at B.C.S.S.
-staff luncheon and BBQ on site
-Physical Education Staff will run a Volleyball Game
-Tuck Shop Swag
3. Curling Club will host evening event with 2 bands and tickets sold
o 5 Decade Reps
o Website Designer and Oversight
o Volunteer Manager
o In Memoriam (Scroll and/or Video)
o Registration Coordinator
o Opening Ceremonies
Mike said he would use and online store for swag and would look into organizing either
a touch football and/or basketball game.
Carol McLelland will work on the staff luncheon/bbq.
Could we get a teacher/student to be the Database Manager? This person would help
to get stats from the website and gather data from participants.
Brampton Guardian – let’s get a news story to promote the event and to encourage
people to sign up.
#BCSS 50 (Anniversary/ Reunion Weekend May 26 - 28, 2017)
Meeting #3 Notes
Date: Tuesday, Nov. 29, 2016
Attending: Sue Fernane, Beverley Edgar, Susan Hood, Carol McClelland, Angie Reid, JoAnne Santos, Cathy Nadon, Dave Hebert, Jay Mathers, Jill Anderson, Rosemary Sloski Kibjis, Sandy Hubble, Sue Stone, Monique Fischer-Anderson, Terry Whitmell
- May 26, Friday night – on track with several local restaurants willing to support the event (possibilities include advertising, gift cards, hosting musical acts…); Year/Class representatives may wish to organize events for their groups at one or more of these venues
- May 27, Saturday night – Brampton Curling Club is available for a dinner/dance (60's/70's Theme); some set-up (e.g. stage) can begin Friday evening, even though the club is technically unavailable at this time
- Jeff Bowman, City Councillor (Wards 3&4) – has been approached and is willing to support with "swag"
- Sponsorship Letter and Logo – a sponsorship letter and logo were created and a draft was shared with the group; thank you to those involved in the creation of the artwork and letter;
- Letter - feedback from attendees was positive; some minor wording edits were suggested and will be incorporated into the final draft
- Logo – feedback from attendees was positive, and the design was found to be tasteful and professional looking; discussion centred around achieving greater clarity in two areas:
a) the "Anniversary" and "Reunion" aspects of the event
b) BCSS and BHS
Suggestions will be incorporated into a revised draft and shared with the group before we move to finalize. This will need to take place in December so that we can continue to move forward with promotion and planning.
2. New Ideas
- Working Groups – There was a desire among those in attendance to create working groups to be responsible for the detailed planning in various categories as we move forward. This was proposed in an effort to keep the committee work at the committee level, and use our plenary meeting times for "big picture" communication and co-ordination. Hence, attendees see our structure going forward as that of a "Steering Team" with several autonomous Working Groups doing the detailed planning within their areas of expertise. Working groups will designate a lead to liaise with the Steering Team, and will define their roles, responsibilities and timelines. Leads may come from current attendees or from new members.
The various task sign-up sheets were gathered into like areas, and ten broad Working Groups
|1. Planning of Activities and Events|
-Alumni sporting events,
Class of '77
Class of '78
-Brampton Curling Club 1967-72 evening event
-Promotion of activities
Jay Mathers, Doug Hebert
Jay Mathers, Doug McLeod, Walter Leipurts, Dave Hebert
Terry Whitmell, BCSS Staff
Class Reps (TBD)
Sue(Dalzell) Fernane, Rosemary Sloski
Sue (Petrie) Stone, Mike Gauley
-CFNY/CHIC on-site promo
-Advertising via Gage Park and Rose Theatre
Susan (Underbakke) Hood
|3. Website|| |
Joanne (Briant) Santos
Angie (Knock) Reid
|4. Memorabilia||-Digitizing Yearbooks, archived materials||Terry Whitmell and BCSS students||Terry Whitmell|
|5. Souvenirs/Swag/Giveaways |
-Group photo, year/class photos
Terry Whitmell, SAC
Mike Gauley, Sue (Dalzell) Fernane
|6. Database, Class Reps.||-Organize names, emails, select class reps.||Sandy Hubble|| |
|7. Program|| || || |
|8. Communications( incl. social media)/Promotions|
-Invitations to special guests,
-Program, MC notes, News Release
|Terry Whitmell||Terry Whitmell|
|9. Accommodations/Logistics||-Availability of hotels and special rates||Angie Reid, Joanne Santos|| |
|10. Staff Luncheon||-BCSS, Friday, May 26||Carol (Filby)McClelland, Emanuel Rendeiro|| |
- Framework/Timeline for Anniversary/Reunion Weekend…so far
Friday, May 26 -à
Evening – Year/Class Activities (TBD)
Saturday, May 27 -à
9:00 – 9:30 am: Memorial Unveiling*
10:00 am – 3:00 pm: Registration, BBQ, "Continuous Table" by Year, Refreshments, Tuck Shop, Alumni Sporting Events
7:00 pm – Dance @ Brampton Curling Club (60's/70's Theme, Ticket Entry, Roast Beef Buffet, Capacity 400-600)
Sunday, May 28
No activities scheduled at this time
* Memorial Committee (Lead – Pam Hand)
3. Action Items for Next Meeting, Tuesday, January 10, 2017
- Finalize Sponsorship Letter
- Finalize Logo
- Organize database of alumni names and emails by year; obtain class reps.