Jump start your future at Cawthra Park Secondary School
Explore High Skills (EHS) is a Peel District School Board pathway program that allows secondary schools with Specialist High Skills Major (SHSM) programs to offer a unique program choice for grade 9 and 10 students. Cawthra Park Secondary School will focus in arts and culture.
Starting September 2016, grade 9 students at Cawthra Park will have the opportunity to participate in unique learning experiences as part of their grade 9 and 10 program at high school. Students can focus on an area of interest as they build self-confidence, learn essential skills, and develop a sense of belonging in school and in the community.
Our EHS arts and culture program
Focused Learning Activities allow students to connect classroom learning to career goals. At Cawthra Park, students will participate in:
- Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS) training in grade 9 science
- cultural explorations in Geography
- health and safety training in Career Studies
- myBlueprint to create Individual Pathway Plans to establish short- and long-term future goals that support their future
Learning Skills development
Students at Cawthra Park will focus on the development of specific Learning Skills: collaboration and initiative. These skills are relevant to arts and culture, an industry in which building relationships and recognizing opportunities is vital.
Experiential Learning and Certifications
To prepare for learning and working in the sector, students participate in:
- 20 hours of sector-related community involvement that count towards their 40 hours high school diploma requirement
- experiential learning activities supported by business, community and industry partners (e.g. Take our Kids to Work Day with partners in theatre, job-shadowing and exploration in arts-related industry)
- a sector-recognized health and safety training is provided to support students as they prepare for future training and the workplace
Upon completion of the program, at the end of grade 10, students who have fulfilled all the requirements of the program will receive the EHS certificate and are able to continue onto the SHSM program.
For more information, contact Cawthra Park at 905-274-1271. To apply for this program, contact your grade 8 guidance counsellor or teacher.
Students can apply from November 9th at 4pm to November 25th at midnight