Peel Academy for International Students
Clarkson Secondary School is the first location of the Peel Academy for International Students. The academy provides a unique, world-class program that integrates students from around the world into the dynamic and welcoming learning environment at Clarkson.
Clarkson has been welcoming international students for four years. The school is located in a safe, suburban community, with easy access to transportation, including the GO Train to Toronto and Niagara Falls.
Features of the program include:
· orientation activities and a Canadian partner system designed to provide international students with a smooth transition to school in Canada and introduce Clarkson students to their peers from around the world
· superior English language programs custom-designed to help motivated international students acquire academic-level English at a faster pace
· extra-curricular activities that provide opportunities for international students to socialize with Clarkson students to build cross-cultural understanding and further language development
The academy is situated in close proximity to two of Canada's leading post-secondary institutions, Sheridan College Institute of Technology & Advanced Learning and the University of Toronto Mississauga. Both institutions have had a role in the planning of the academy and expect to play a role in offering graduates a smooth transition to post-secondary studies.
International students interested in our program should visit www.studyincanada-peel.ca or call 1-800-668-1179 ext. 1252.
Host an international student
Families of all students at Clarkson and families living in the Clarkson area are encouraged to apply to host an international student. Homestay arrangements are made through Canada Homestay International. Hosting a student is an enriching experience. Imagine:
· having the chance to introduce your family to another culture and develop friendships that could lead to amazing opportunities in the future
· becoming a Canadian ambassador for an international student by embracing the opportunity to showcase Canadian experiences and hospitality
· the exchange of language that can happen through the experience—many parents are interested in having their children gain exposure to Mandarin, Spanish or other major global languages
Host families receive compensation for providing a caring, welcoming home to international students. In order to be a host family, you need to provide:
· private bedroom, desk and closet
· nutritious meals every day (meal plans vary)
· patient, caring and friendly home atmosphere
· English environment for ESL students
· the same guidance and attention you would want for a loved one traveling overseas
For more information about the homestay program, visit www.studyincanada-peel.ca