Clarkson Secondary School
Parent Advisory Council Minutes
January 23, 2013 - 7:00 pm
Principal’s Conference Room
Martine Brouillet, Cathy Patterson, Phyllis Bilan, Anne-Marie May, Debi Lawrence, Jim Kardash, Sue Piotrowski, Jayne Manktelow, Guylaine Juteau, Sue McMillan, (Guidance) May Wong, (Business) Lisa Ngo-Nguyen (SAC)
Approval of previous Minutes - November 21, 2012 APPROVED
· Cathy Patterson information on the recent tragedy with respect to the death of a Grade 11 student.
· She noted the Board is launching a ‘Hiring Policies’ program
· Clarkson expects to have 13 additional International students for the Fall term plus another possible 14 for the following 2nd semester.
· With respect to the union action pending resolution, certain activities are on hold. These include hockey, swimming & basketball. Intra-mural sports are all taking place.
Presentation by Sue McMillan (Guidance Dept)
· Sue McMillan presented an overview and updated us on the Guidance Department.
· She noted that 1 in 5 students are struggling with mental health issues.
· She highlighted the school’s mental health awareness program and the efforts to reach out to the students affected by the recent death of a Grade 11 student. There has been a positive outcome from this and as a result, some students have come forward for additional support.
· She also noted that students are shown the various post secondary pathways available to them at various grades.
· Lisa Ngo-Nguyen reported on behalf of SAC noting Grade 8 presentations to various feeder schools had gone well.
· There had been Parent Night meetings including tours and academic information disseminated.
· Students had enjoyed various Holiday Week activities.
· The plans for a semi-formal are on hold pending survey results.
· Balance at Jan 17th $816.34. A disbursement of $536.24 was approved - $36.24 for the Barbara Coloroso Fund and $500 for the Parent Engagement Fund, the latter of which is an initiative involving Nutrition & Healthy Eating. This is an initiative spearheaded by Clarkson Community At Peace.
· The Council approved $300 be set aside for the Council Award. Clarkson administrators will identify the recipients at the next meeting of Council.
Principal profile consultation
· Martine reviewed the notes presented from the previous discussions regarding desired attributes and the form was approved.
Staff Appreciation Treat Day
· This item was put on hold pending the outcome of the union action. A tentative date could be May 7th if we decide to go forward with the event.
· Sue Piotrowski agreed to review the Bylaws for the April meeting.
Wednesday - April 17, 2013
Council Meetings begin at 7:00 pm and take place in the Principal’s Conference Room.