Clarkson Secondary School
Advisory Council Minutes
November 20, 2013 - 7:00 p.m.
Principal’s Conference Room
Martine Brouillet, Jim Kardash, Principal, John Russell, Steve Petsinis, May Wong, Maya Tomkiewicz, Anne-Marie May, Debi Lawrence, Bonnie Kuehl, Nicky Rossi, Guylaine Juteau
Martine Brouillet moved to approve September 18, 2013 Minutes Carried - APPROVED
· Principal Kardash provided a brief summary of happenings at Clarkson, reviewed activities of the various clubs and a wide range of upcoming events
· He highlighted the Mental Health Girls’ Empowerment Night Feb 11, followed by a similar event for the Boys on Feb 12.
· A survey of the Top 10 Reported identified banners representing Clarkson at public events.
· There was a suggestion on ‘Where are They Now?’ to profile graduates in today’s workplace and how their job prospects were vis-à-vis their academic stream, i.e. French immersion, co-op, high skills, etc.
· Maya provided a brief summary of the activities of Student Council including preliminary plans for a semi-formal in February
· $331 has been earned from the QSP Magazine Fundraiser of which $300 is earmarked for Council Awards
· A point was raised about the Donation form not being included with the Report Cards so these would be distributed via email to those subscribed
· Full Report was deferred to next meeting
High Skills Presentation
· Steve Petsinis made a presentation on the Manufacturing Component of the high skills major, noting this program is over 5 years old and well established
· Graduates of this program have been successful in finding related employment
· Some co-op placements occur during the summer months while others are during the school year
Extra Curricular Activities Presentation
· John Russell made presentation on the various extra curricular activities at Clarkson
· He reviewed all the athletic teams & activities
· He noted an item on their wish list was 2 small canopy tents to be used at sporting events to protect from the sun
· There was a brief discussion around the updating of the school’s website as to whether some outdated items could be removed and current info be incorporated to be a better reference tool and make the school’s site more current. The principal concurred and would look into getting support for implementing up to date info on a regular basis.
· Proposed topics for future Council meetings include a presentation from:
January – Guidance Department
April – French Immersion and English
Meeting Dates for this school year are as follows:
Wednesday - January 22, 2014
Wednesday - April 16, 2014
Future Council Meetings begin at 7:00 p.m. and take place in the Principal’s Conference Room.