Clarkson Secondary School
Parent Advisory Council Minutes
November 25, 2015 - 7:00 p.m.
Principal's Conference Room
Brian Hudson. Chair James Kardash, Principal
Sandra Forsyth Mary Zammit
Nicky Rossi May Wong
Gulylaine Juteau Debbie Foss
Anne-Marie May Bruce Foss
- Following the Board meeting on Monday night it was announced that Mr. Kardash has been appointed to the position of Principal at Mayfield Secondary School, Caledon effective February 4, 2016.
- Ms. Mary Zammit was introduced as the incoming Principal. Ms. Zammit is currently Vice Principal at Brampton Centennial Secondary School, and previously served as Vice Principal at Lincoln Alexander Secondary School.
Approval of Previous Meeting Minutes
Minutes of September 22, 2015 ~ Motion to Approve (S. Forsyth) Seconded (J. Kardash)
Carried – APPROVED
Council Minutes are posted on the school's website under the Council tab for all to review.
- Pathways Fair: Mr. Kinnie organized this very successful University and College Fair for Grade 11 and 12 students, 38 different schools were represented.
- Taste of High School: This day, intended to introduce Clarkson to Grade 8 students currently attending feeder schools, had to be cancelled in October due to job action still in place at Elementary Schools, Mr. Kardash is organizing a "Travelling Roadshow" where Clarkson staff and students will visit the various feeder schools to promote Clarkson as a great choice to pursue secondary education.
- Charger in Charge Day: This year the students chose "Camp Clarkson" as the theme for the day, focussing on Inclusion Perseverance, and Resilience.
- DECA Competition: Ten students represented Clarkson at this business competition held in early November, and three will now progress to the Provincial Championships.
- Awards Assembly: Awards were presented to students who achieved the highest marks in academics last year.
- Athletics: The Girls Field Hockey Team won ROPSSA and placed 4th in the Provincial Championships. The Girls Flag Football team and Basketball team also had a successful season.. Junior and Senior Volleyball and Basketball teams have now started up, as well as hockey. The Clarkson Prep Basketball team is doing well.
- Coffee House: Students (and some staff) enjoyed an opportunity to showcase their talents at this event. The evening offered a diverse range of talents and acts, performed in an informal setting
- China Trip: Clarkson is organizing an 11 day trip to China next March (March 11 – 25). The information night was well attended, and it is anticipated that approximately 20 students will sign up for the trip. (A $600 deposit is required by November 30.)
- Hour of Code: This event will expose all Clarkson Students to an hour of basic computer coding, something that is becoming increasingly important to understand.
- Upcoming Events: KidFest (Grade 12 students host local Grade 1 students); Holiday Concert (Thursday, December 17); Course Option Selection (important parents are involved in the process and verify that their child selects the correct courses for the next academic year).
- Current balance: $ 555.94
- Council funds include the $500 Parent Engagement Grant and $55.94 from QSP revenue.
- Council can also apply for a Parent Reaching Out Grant (PRO Grant) to be used towards a specific event or project involving parents.
Selection of Topics for Upcoming Meetings
- The new Head of the Math Department, Mr. M. Arduini, will be invited to present at the next Council meeting.
- Every January, Council is required to complete a Principal Profile for the Board.
- At the next meeting the profile that was submitted for 2014-2015 will be reviewed and updated.
Next meeting: Wednesday – January 20, 2016
Council Meetings begin at 7:00 pm and take place in the Principal's Conference Room.
The meeting adjourned at 8:45 pm