Take Our Kids to Work is an annual national program in which Grade 9 (or equivalent) students are hosted by parents, friends, relatives and volunteers at workplaces across the country every November. The program supports career development by helping students connect school, the world of work, and their own futures.
Take Our Kids to Work is scheduled for the first Wednesday of every November for all Grade 9 students to spend a day in the workplace of a parent, relative, friend or volunteer experiencing and learning about the world of work as they begin to explore possible career paths.
Research suggests that today’s students will have multiple careers over the span of their working years. To be successful, they will need to master both new technologies and complex social and organizational systems. Learning in school becomes more effective and relevant if students can see where their education might lead them in the future. Spending a ‘day in the life’ of a profession or workplace is a fun and fascinating way to explore the world of work, think about career options, and make informed educational decisions.
Students benefit because it’s an opportunity for them to explore career options, through:
- Understanding the importance of staying in school by learning first-hand what skills are required in today’s workplace
- Thinking about what aspects of their “work day” they liked and what they didn’t
- Exploring career options in a practical way and gain a better understanding of just how many career choices are open to them
- By spending a day in the life of a working adult, they develop an appreciation of their parents’ work and motivations
Parents benefit because it helps them prepare their children for the future by:
- Discussing work experiences with their child
- Beginning a career discussion based on actual experiences
- Enriching their child’s experience with discussions before, during and after the workplace visit
Employers benefit because the program is an ideal way to enhance corporate social responsibility initiatives. It:
- Enhances employee engagement, morale and loyalty
- Showcases your workplace as progressive and committed to education
- Publicizes the range of career opportunities in your organization and sector
- Garners positive brand and corporate recognition
- Makes your company eligible to apply for a Canada’s Outstanding Employers Award
Teachers benefit because the program allows real life experiences to bridge with learning in the classroom.
- Helps make the connection between education and future career paths
- Demonstrates the complexity of career choices and the benefits of early exploration
- Allows teachers and students to explore career options in practical ways
Take our Kids Permission Form (to be completed and returned to homeroom teacher) -l of permission (1).doc
Take Our Kids to Work Information letter l info to parents (1).doc