In order to complete a SHSM in Health and Wellness students:
1. Complete a package of 9 specific credits (see below chart).
2. Complete 4 Industry Certifications PLUS 3 certifications of your choice.
3. Obtain job experience (ex. Co-op work experience, job shadowing, job twinning).
4. Gain "Reach Ahead Experience" (ex. through an apprenticeship program or post-secondary institution).
- 4 Major Credits (at least one credit in Grade 11 and one credit in Grade 12)
- *TPT3M must be selected in Grade 11*
- 2 English Credits (one in Grade 11 and one in Grade 12)
- 1 Math Credit (either in Grade 11 or Grade 12)
- 1 Elective Course in Science or Social Science (in Grade 11 or Grade 12)
- **2-credit Co-Op (in Grade 11)
Health-Wellness SHSM List of Approved Credits 1.pdf
- 4 Compulsory Certifications:
- Standard First Aid
- CPR Level C
- Infection Control
- 3 Elective Certifications from the following:
- Communication Skills
- Conflict Resolution
- Stress Management Techniques
- Medical Terminology
- Sterile Techniques
- Coaching/Personal Trainer
- and others
How To Apply:
Grade 10 Students Only:
- Complete the Health and Wellness SHSM Application
- Obtain 2 Teacher References from current subject teachers
- Submit a signed permission letter to your guidance counsellor
The Selection Process
Successful applicants will be selected based on the following criteria:
- Quality of responses on the application form
- Teacher references
- Relevance of student academic and/or career goals
- Successful credit accumulation
- Student attendance record
- Selection of 2-credit co-op in Grade 11
Successful applicants will be notified in May and will meet with a guidance counsellor to adjust courses for the upcoming school year.
Health and Wellness SHSM - SWAT - Brochure