Jump start your future at Harold M. Brathwaite Secondary School
Explore High Skills (EHS) is a Peel District School Board pathway program that allows secondary schools with Specialist High Skills Major (SHSM) programs to offer a unique program choice for grade 9 and 10 students. Harold M. Brathwaite Secondary School will focus in business, and justice, community safety and emergency services.
Starting September 2016, grade 9 students at Harold Brathwaite will have the opportunity to participate in unique learning experiences as part of their grade 9 and 10 program at high school. Students can focus on an area of interest as they build self-confidence, learn essential skills, and develop a sense of belonging in school and in the community.
Our EHS programs
Focused Learning Activities allow students to connect classroom learning to career goals. At Harold M. Brathwaite, students will participate in:
- focused learning activities through field trips and in-school activities related to both SHSM sectors
- myBlueprint to create Individual Pathway Plans to establish short- and long-term future goals that support their future
Students at Harold M. Brathwaite will focus on the development of specific Learning Skills: responsibility, organization and initiative.
These skills are relevant to both EHS sectors as they are key employability skills in this sector. Skills development in these areas is important as the ability to recognize an opportunity, create a strategic response and implement the response are key skills in both of the sectors.
Experiential Learning and Certifications
To prepare for learning and working in the sector, students participate in:
- 20 hours of sector-related community involvement that count towards their 40-hours high school diploma requirement
- experiential learning activities supported by business, community and industry partners in our community
- various certifications based on the optional courses they choose
Upon completion of the program, at the end of grade 10, students who have fulfilled all the requirements of the program will receive the EHS certificate and are able to continue onto the SHSM program.
For more information, contact Harold M. Brathwaite at 905-793-2155. To apply for this program, contact your grade 8 guidance counsellor or teacher.