Jump start your future at Heart Lake Secondary School
Explore High Skills (EHS) is a Peel District School Board pathway program that allows secondary schools with Specialist High Skills Major (SHSM) programs to offer a unique program choice for grade 9 and 10 students. Heart Lake Secondary School will focus on two ares:
Information and Communication Technology (ICT)
Arts and Culture.
Starting September 2016, grade 9 students at Heart Lake will have the opportunity to participate in unique learning experiences as part of their grade 9 and 10 program at high school. Students can focus on an area of interest as they build self-confidence, learn essential skills, and develop a sense of belonging in school and in the community.
Our EHS programs
Focused Learning Activities allow students to connect classroom learning to career goals. At Heart Lake, students will participate in:
- focused learning activities, which will provide them with the opportunity to experience the skills and career pathways related to ICT and arts and culture
- myBlueprint to create Individual Pathway Plans to establish short- and long-term future goals that support their future
Learning Skills development
Students at Heart Lake will focus on the development of specific Learning Skills: organization and collaboration.
These skills are relevant to ICT and arts and culture as they assist students in the development of their portfolios to further their education and begin a career in a very team-focused industry. Skills development in these areas is important as they will help build the foundation of life skills which will better equip students to pursue their interests in ICT, and arts and culture.
Experiential Learning and Certifications
To prepare for learning and working in the sector, students participate in:
- 20 hours of sector-related community involvement that count towards their 40-hour high school diploma requirement
- experiential learning activities supported by business, community and industry partners may include workplace field trips and Skills Canada
- a sector-recognized certification program in Leadership Skills is provided to support students as they prepare for future training and the workplace
Upon completion of the program, at the end of grade 10, students who have fulfilled all the requirements of the program will receive the EHS certificate and are able to continue onto the SHSM program.
For more information, contact Heart Lake at 905-840-2328. To apply for this program, contact your grade 8 guidance counsellor or teacher.
EHS Generic Ppt 2017-2018.pptm
Students can apply for our EHS programs starting Wednesday, Nov. 9 until Friday, Nov. 25, 2016 at 4:00 p.m. There will be an on-line applicaiton, further information to follow shortly.
Please follow the following link for the most current information: