What are they?
Specialist High Skills Majors let students focus on a career path that matches their skills and interests while meeting the requirements of the Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD). Students receive the SHSM's seal on their diploma when they:
- complete a specific bundle of 8-10 courses in the student's selected field
- earn valuable industry certifications including first aid and CPR qualifications
- gain important skills on the job with employers.
Who are they for?
Grade 11 and 12 students who are:
heading for an apprenticeship, training, college, university or the workplace.
wanting to identify, explore and refine their career goals and make informed choices about their next steps after secondary school.
How can they help?
Students have the opportunity to:
- Gain important skills on the job with actual employers, at skills training centres and at school
- Earn valuable industry certifications, including first aid and CPR qualifications.
Contextualized Learning Activities (CLAs)
Contextualized Learning Activities, a minimum of six hours and a maximum of ten hours in length, address curriculum expectations in the context of the sector for the other required courses. Over 700 hundred CLAs have been developed by teachers and are posted on password protected sites for educators.
Humberview SS SHSM Programs