Jean Augustine Secondary School
2017-2018 Code of Conduct (condensed)
Note: Students, parents and staff are expected to familiarize themselves with the more detailed Code of Conduct, including disciplinary consequences, found on the school website: http://jeanaugustiness.com
All members of the school community succeed together when we model, in our everyday interactions, the principles of excellence, integrity, human dignity, fairness, stewardship and potential.
- Classes begin at 8:15 a.m. Please attend all classes on time and ready for success.
- Please talk to your teacher prior to a known absence.
- Students are expected to manage course work and co-curricular activities without sacrificing either.
- Parents should notify the school about student absence in the morning by phone, or upon return to school by note.
- Unauthorized absences (skips) may result in consequences as determined by teacher and administration.
- Computerized attendance is reported each period; unexplained absences receive a computer call-out nightly.
- Students must present a note to the office if they have a scheduled reason to leave school.
- Students who become ill during the day should alert staff and must report to the main office before leaving the school.
- Students arriving after 8:20 a.m. are to report directly to class with a note from their parent/guardian.
- Students arriving Late for Class may result in consequences as determined by the teacher, this would jeopardize assessment and evaluation time.
- Vacations during school time should be avoided. If necessary must see VP.
Image & Pride
- Personal belongings are to be stored in lockers; unauthorized posters, etc. are not allowed; furniture is not to be moved.
- Food is to be consumed in the cafeteria only. Please remember to dispose of waste, return trays and leave tables & chairs clean.
- There is No Smoking in the school and on school property; consequences include community service, suspension and fines.
- Please use the cafeteria for socializing, the library for study and leave the stairs unblocked.
- Lockers are to be used as assigned and kept in good order & graffiti-free; leave valuables & money at home.
- Laser pens and pointers are prohibited on school property.
- Betting & wagering are not allowed; cards, dominoes, board games may be played quietly in the Cafeteria only.
- JASS staff and students value academic integrity. Plagiarism and academic dishonesty will result in progressive discipline
- Please dress appropriately, you may be sent home if wearing overly revealing clothing & clothing accessories with offensive language & images.
- Hoods are to be removed inside of the school.
- Remember, school rules apply to Field Trips & when visiting other schools for authorized events; privileges can be lost.
Safety & Security
- No weapons, including replica weapons are allowed on school property; pre-approved props must be secured with staff.
- Use, possession and trafficking of illegal drugs is prohibited; infractions will result in suspension/expulsion.
- Student use, possession or provision of alcohol is prohibited; infractions will result in suspension/expulsion.
- No forms of Physical Aggression including aggressive physical contact, fighting, pushing, harassing conduct, threatening words, will be tolerated; infractions will result in suspension/expulsion.
- No swearing at a teacher or other person in authority will be tolerated; infractions will result in suspension.
- No forms of Improper & Intimidating Behaviour, incl. rude, profane, harassing, racist, sexist language or acts and gang related activities and identifiers will be tolerated; infractions will result in suspension/expulsion.
- Inappropriate use of computers/network/internet from any location will result in progressive disciplinary consequences and may result in loss of privileges.
- Theft can be minimized by not bringing valuables to school; No forms of Robbery & Extortion, i.e.: stealing with the use/threat of violence/assault will be tolerated; infractions will result in suspension/expulsion.
- School property is not to be defaced through Vandalism, Tagging or Graffiti; infractions will result in suspension.
- All students must carry their Student Card with Photo I.D. and show it when directed by staff.
- The presence of strangers or intruders (unknown cars, adults or youth) should be reported to staff immediately.
- Students are not to make unauthorized visits to other schools; infractions can result in suspensions or trespass charges.
- Students staying after 2:45 p.m. should be part of an approved activity.
- Vehicles are off-limits for congregating, sitting, eating, socializing or playing music; vehicle privileges on school property can be lost.
- Skateboards & Roller Blades are not to be used in or around the building at any time of day.