Jean Augustine Secondary School
Code of Conduct (condensed)
Note: Students, parents and staff are expected to familiarize themselves with the more detailed Code of Conduct, including disciplinary consequences.
All members of the school community succeed together when we model, in our everyday interactions, the principles of excellence, integrity, human dignity, fairness, stewardship and potential.
- Classes begin at 8:15 a.m. Please attend all classes on time and ready for success.
- Please talk to your teacher prior to a known absence.
- Students are expected to manage course work and co-curricular activities without sacrificing either.
- Parents should notify the school about student absence in the morning by phone, or upon return to school by note.
- Unauthorized absences (skips) may result in consequences as determined by teacher and administration.
- Computerized attendance is reported each period; unexplained absences receive a computer call-out nightly.
- Students must present a note to the office if they have a scheduled reason to leave school.
- Students who become ill during the day should alert staff and must report to the main office before leaving the school.
- Students arriving after 8:20 a.m. are to report directly to class with a note from their parent/guardian.
- Students arriving Late for Class may result in consequences as determined by the teacher, this would jeopardize assessment and evaluation time.
- Vacations during school time should be avoided. If necessary must see VP.
Image & Pride
- Personal belongings are to be stored in lockers; unauthorized posters, etc. are not allowed; furniture is not to be moved.
- Food is to be consumed in the cafeteria only. Please remember to dispose of waste, return trays and leave tables & chairs clean.
- There is No Smoking in the school and on school property; consequences include community service, suspension and fines.
- Please use the cafeteria for socializing, the library for study and leave the stairs unblocked.
- Lockers are to be used as assigned and kept in good order & graffiti-free; leave valuables & money at home.
- Laser pens and pointers are prohibited on school property.
- Betting & wagering are not allowed; cards, dominoes, board games may be played quietly in the Cafeteria only.
- JASS staff and students value academic integrity. Plagiarism and academic dishonesty will result in progressive discipline
- Please dress appropriately, you may be sent home if wearing overly revealing clothing & clothing accessories with offensive language & images.
- Hoods are to be removed inside of the school.
- Remember, school rules apply to Field Trips & when visiting other schools for authorized events; privileges can be lost.
Safety & Security
- No weapons, including replica weapons are allowed on school property; pre-approved props must be secured with staff.
- Use, possession and trafficking of illegal drugs is prohibited; infractions will result in suspension/expulsion.
- Student use, possession or provision of alcohol is prohibited; infractions will result in suspension/expulsion.
- No forms of Physical Aggression including aggressive physical contact, fighting, pushing, harassing conduct, threatening words, will be tolerated; infractions will result in suspension/expulsion.
- No swearing at a teacher or other person in authority will be tolerated; infractions will result in suspension.
- No forms of Improper & Intimidating Behaviour, incl. rude, profane, harassing, racist, sexist language or acts and gang related activities and identifiers will be tolerated; infractions will result in suspension/expulsion.
- Inappropriate use of computers/network/internet from any location will result in progressive disciplinary consequences and may result in loss of privileges.
- Theft can be minimized by not bringing valuables to school; No forms of Robbery & Extortion, i.e.: stealing with the use/threat of violence/assault will be tolerated; infractions will result in suspension/expulsion.
- School property is not to be defaced through Vandalism, Tagging or Graffiti; infractions will result in suspension.
- All students must carry their Student Card with Photo I.D. and show it when directed by staff.
- The presence of strangers or intruders (unknown cars, adults or youth) should be reported to staff immediately.
- Students are not to make unauthorized visits to other schools; infractions can result in suspensions or trespass charges.
- Students staying after 2:45 p.m. should be part of an approved activity.
- Vehicles are off-limits for congregating, sitting, eating, socializing or playing music; vehicle privileges on school property can be lost.
- Skateboards & Roller Blades are not to be used in or around the building at any time of day.