#WellinPeel: A time for renewal and fresh starts
The long and lazy days of summer are over. Fall is here and as the days get shorter and the temperatures drop, it's a great time for renewal and fresh starts. Focusing and concentrating on good mental health is an important part of overall wellness.
According to the World Health Organization, mental health is "a state of well-being in which every individual realizes his or her own potential, can cope with the normal stresses of life, work productively and fruitfully, and is able to make a contribution to her or his community." Mental health is something we all have. Just like physical health, there are some things that you and your child can do to be mentally healthy:
- Get enough sleep. Remember it takes the average person a complete hour to go from fully awake to fully asleep. If you do an hour-long bedtime routine pretty much the same way every night, your child's brain will get the message that it is time to shut down for sleep.
- Exercise daily - even a short walk makes a difference. Getting outside to exercise provides exposure to Vitamin D the "sunshine vitamin."
- Try to surround you and your family with positive, supportive people.
- Eat plenty of nutritious foods.
- Spend time everyday doing things that make you and your child feel good.
- Take time to relax.
- Be in touch with your feelings by being mindful of your thoughts and how you feel. Ask your child how they are feeling.
- When there are problems or worries, try to actively work to solve the problem.
- Try new things and encourage your child to get involved in school activities or new hobbies.
- Go offline. Make a commitment to limit screen time as a family.