What are they?
Specialist High Skills Majors let students focus on a career path that matches their skills and interests while meeting the requirements of the Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD). Students receive the SHSM seal on their diploma when they:
- complete a specific bundle of 8-10 courses in the student's selected field
- earn valuable industry certifications including first aid and CPR qualifications
- gain important skills on the job through cooperative education placements.
Who are they for?
Grade 11 and 12 students who are:
- heading for apprenticeship training, college, university or the workplace
- wanting to identify, explore and refine their career goals and make informed choices about their next steps after secondary school.
How can they help?
Students have the opportunity to:
- gain important skills on the job with actual employers
- concentrate on their area of interest by taking major credits
- earn valuable industry certifications, including first aid and CPR qualifications.
Meadowvale's SHSM Programs
Meadowvale has three SHSM programs: ICT (Information, Communication & Technology), Business and Construction. Students are only able to apply to one of the three SHSM programs for their grade 11 and 12 year. Students interested in either SHSM program should submit an application to their Guidance Counsellor or Head of Alternative Programs.
Need more information or have questions?
Check out the specific SHSM program pages.
Contact the school at 905-824-1790
Head of Alternative Programs: H. Jones ext. 406