Intermediate Alternative Program (IAP)
The Intermediate Alternative Program (IAP) is a proactive program designed for students in their first or second year of high school who are considered to be at risk of dropping out of school. The program is strongly student–centered and offers a small class size with much individualization.
Transportation is not provided by the Peel board.
Who can attend the IAP?
This program is open to students:
• who are currently enrolled in the Peel board and in their first or second year of high school
• with average or above average academic potential
• who are fragile or vulnerable and may experience difficulty in a large school population • who do not require intensive behavioural support or programming
• who have received in-school interventions such as counseling, modified timetable or social work support
• whose school performance and attendance have suffered dramatically for a combination of reasons including, victimization, personal/family crisis and chronic social and/or emotional stress
• with negative perceptions about self and schooling
The purpose of the IAP is to:
- provide an alternative learning environment for vulnerable at risk students
- provide learning activities to support the student’s individual needs
- provide a safe and supportive learning environment which will promote regular school attendance
- improve social skills and attitudes toward school
- provide students with an opportunity to develop skills in order to successfully re-enter their home school, or transition to other Alternative Programs
The Alternative Programs Admissions Committee (APAC) determines the suitability of candidates for the program. The committee meets monthly to review applications from schools. Students who are accepted into the program and do not attend will be redirected to register in their home school.
Students must be referred to the IAP program through their home school. Contact your home school for more information.
Location: North of 401
North: Peel Alternative School North
315 Bartley Bull Parkway, Brampton
Location: South of 401
South: Peel Alternative School South
1500 Ogden Avenue, Mississauga