EHS Hospitality and Tourism Program
Applying to EHS Programs:
The application cycle for current gr. 8 students is between Nov. 11, 2019 and Nov. 25, 2019 at 3pm.
Please apply at:
Acceptance offers go out on January 31, 2020.
Grade 9 students at Rick Hansen will have the opportunity to participate in unique learning experiences as part of their grade 9 and 10 program at high school. Students can focus on an area of interest as they build self-confidence, learn essential skills, and develop a sense of belonging in school and in the community.
Our EHS Hospitality and Tourism Program
At Rick Hansen, students in grade 9 and 10 will:
- prepare a variety of foods and baked goods for the school cafeteria and the staff servery
- explain health and safety issues as they relate to the food service industry
- measure and weigh ingredients, follow recipes, and identify kitchen tools and equipment
- employ proper management techniques for selling food products
- assess the characteristics of a variety of food products to determine their nutritional content and local availability, and the appropriate methods of cooking each food product
- demonstrate an understanding of tools, equipment, and facilities commonly found in the food and beverage services sector of the tourism industry
- learn what services sector of the tourism industry affects the environment
- identify and demonstrate compliance with health and safety legislation, regulations, and practices that govern the food and beverage services sector of the tourism industry
Focused Learning Activities allow students to connect classroom learning to career goals. At Rick Hansen, students will participate in:
- focused learning activities that will enhance their knowledge and skills related to the hospitality sector
- career exploration projects
- a guest speaker series
- industry representative interviews related to hospitality and tourism
- myBlueprint to create Individual Pathway Plans to establish short- and long-term future goals that support their future
Students at Rick Hansen will focus on the development of specific learning skills: responsibility, initiative and collaboration.
These skills are relevant to the hospitality and tourism sector as they will allow students to apply the essential skills required by industry. Skills development in these areas is important as students prepare themselves for an opportunity in a Co-operative Education placement, apprenticeship or Dual Credit opportunities.
Experiential Learning and Certifications
To prepare for learning and working in the sector, students participate in:
- 20 hours of sector-related community involvement that count towards their 40-hour high school diploma requirement
- experiential learning activities supported by business, community, and industry partners
- job-shadowing and job-twinning opportunities alongside co-op students
- field trips to community colleges and universities
- visiting apprenticeship fairs to explore opportunities in the trades
- a sector-recognized certification programs, including CPR and First Aid, and WHMIS training, which is provided to support students as they prepare for future training and the workplace
Upon completion of the program, at the end of grade 10, students who have fulfilled all the requirements of the program will receive the EHS certificate and are able to continue onto the SHSM program.
For more information, contact Rick Hansen at 905-567-4260. To apply for this program, contact your grade 8 guidance counsellor or teacher.