Jump start your future at Turner Fenton
Explore High Skills (EHS) is a Peel District School Board pathway program that allows secondary schools with Specialist High Skills Major (SHSM) programs to offer a unique program choice for grade 9 and 10 students. Turner Fenton Secondary School's EHS program will focus in hospitality.
Starting September 2016, grade 9 students at Turner Fenton will have the opportunity to participate in unique learning experiences as part of their grade 9 and 10 program at high school. Students can focus on an area of interest as they build self-confidence, learn essential skills, and develop a sense of belonging in school and in the community.
Our EHS hospitality program
Focused Learning Activities allow students to connect classroom learning to career goals. At Turner Fenton, students will participate in:
- hands-on learning within the classroom
- field trips to be exposed to businesses that rely on the hospitality industry
- research that identifies different career opportunities in the hospitality industry
- myBlueprint to create Individual Pathway Plans to establish short- and long-term future goals that support their future
Learning Skills development
Students at Turner Fenton will focus on the development of various learning skills, which are relevant to the hospitality industry. These skills provide students with the advantage of being knowledgeable and ready in a competitive workplace or post-secondary institution. Skills development in these areas is important as these skills are sought after by employers and are transferable.
Experiential Learning and Certifications
To prepare for learning and working in the sector, students participate in:
- 20 hours of sector-related community involvement that count towards their 40-hour high school diploma requirement
- experiential learning activities supported by business, community, and industry partners
- sector-recognized certification programs, including First Aid, Food Handler Safety, Health and Safety, which are provided to support students as they prepare for future training and the workplace
Upon completion of the program, at the end of grade 10, students who have fulfilled all the requirements of the program will receive the EHS certificate and are able to continue onto the SHSM program.
For more information, contact Turner Fenton at 905-453-9220. To apply for this program, contact your grade 8 guidance counsellor or teacher.
Students can apply during the course selection period, available from Nov. 9 to 25, 2016.