Forest of Reading
The Woodlands' Forest of Reading Club
- Each year, the Ontario Library Association promotes Canadian Literature through the "Forest of Reading" program.
- At The Woodlands, all students are welcome to join our Forest of Reading Book Club, and read titles nominated for the "Red Maple" and "White Pine" awards.
- Red Maple" books have greater appeal to grade 7-8 students, while "White Pine" books are more appropriate for readers in grades 9-12.
- There are 10 books in each category. If students read a minimum of five nominated books within a category, they are able to vote to determine who wins the award.
- For more information, visit the "Forest of Reading" website.
We'd like to congratulate this year's winners:
A World Below
Written by Wesley King
Published by Paula Wiseman Books
The Agony of Bun O’Keefe
Written by Heather T. Smith
Published by Penguin Teen Canada
Festival of Trees
On May 14th, Forest of Reading club attended "The Festival of Trees" in downtown Toronto at the Harbourfront Centre. There, they attended a ceremony to announce the White Pine Award winners and had opportunities to engage in interactive workshops hosted by the authors, attend book signings, participate in games, eat delicious food and watch live entertainment.
Watch: To see a video compilation of a previous festival, click here.
For more information, visit the "Festival of Trees" Official Website.