Regional Programs
Print this page

​Frequently Asked Questions


What is the Advanced Placement Program?

The Advanced Placement Program, administered by The College Board and taught at local high schools, allows students to participate in a university level course and possibly earn university credit while still in high school. Secondary schools and universities cooperate in this program to give students the opportunity to show mastery in university-level courses by taking the AP exam in May of each school year.


Who can apply?
Any student living in the Peel Region (Brampton, Mississauga, Caledon) who is currently in grade 8 can apply.

What are the advantages of my child taking an AP course?

The main advantage of taking an AP course is better preparation for university. It has been shown that students master in depth content at the university level more easily after completing AP courses in high school. Students also acquire sophisticated academic skills and increased self-confidence in preparation for university. Students who take AP exams may receive university credit while still in high school, saving both time and money. However, check with the universities you are interested in to see if they accept AP exams for credits.


How does an AP class compare to other high school courses?

AP classes are more challenging and stimulating, so they take more time and require more work. AP classes require energetic, involved, and motivated students.


Why should I encourage my child to take an AP class?

Students who succeed in AP courses generally do well in university as a result of rigorous academic preparation. Universities look favorably on students who tackle AP courses.


What background does my child need in order to succeed in an AP course?

The content of AP courses is more sophisticated than that in typical high school academic courses. Students should have had practice in analyzing content, drawing comparisons, and reasoning through problems. They must be able to read perceptively and independently. Additionally, students will need to be proficient in writing clear, concise essays. Students who are not skilled in these areas must be even more highly motivated to make up deficiencies at the same time they are taking more rigorous courses. The earlier the students prepare for AP or university courses by taking the most rigorous classes available, the more likely they will succeed. The keys to success are motivation, self-discipline, and academic preparation.


How much does it cost for my child to be part of the Regional AP Program at Central Peel?  To take an AP exam?

The annual fee to be part of the Regional AP Program is $250/student. This will cover some of the professional development of the teachers, enrichment opportunities, ​​textbooks, other resources and materials.

The exams cost approximately $125 each. Financial assistance from The College Board for students in need can reduce the cost to approximately $45 each.  The AP coordinator has details for these requests.


Will my child receive university credit?

The AP exams are given every year in May. Scores are reported to the universities designated by the student and range from 1 (no recommendation) to 5 (extremely qualified). Each university determines the scores to be accepted for credit, but most consider a score of at least 3 to be eligible. Students should contact individual universities to find out about the policy of each.


Does my child have to take an AP course in order to take an AP exam?

No. However, research indicates that students who take AP courses score higher on AP exams than those students who do not take the courses.


How can I assist my child with doing well in AP courses?

Preparation for AP courses should begin early. You can encourage your child's academic pursuits, help him or her schedule time wisely, encourage and require strong study skills, set up a good study atmosphere, and participate in university and AP planning with your child and the school counselor, principal, or teacher. Your support is important.


Will my child get bussing?
Presently, the Peel Board of Education does not operate bussing for Regional Programs. However, in many schools with specialized programs, the parents of children in the program often form a Parents' Council. Out of that Council, a decision can be made to hire private busses for students to travel to and from school. Parents will pay a yearly fee to participate in the private bussing program. Another option, considering Central Peel's prime location in Brampton, and proximity to Zum bus stations, is for students to travel via Brampton Transit.

Student photo
Copyright © 2021 Peel District School Board