Regional Programs
Print this page

Frequently Asked Questions


1. Can I be in both the AP and Strings programs?

Absolutely!  The majority of our strings students are both in Strings and AP.   We have found over the past few years that this combination works very well as students end up working together across their programs.  Strings also allows students to develop the soft skills (communication, collaboration, leadership, etc.) that are so important to their success in the academically challenging AP courses. 


2. What does the Regional Strings Program offer?

Through 4 years of study, students have the opportunity to learn through various methods, including:

  • Qualified Strings/Music Teachers 
  • Professional coaching sessions 
  • Leadership opportunities 
  • Community partnerships 
  • Field trips to live concerts and rehearsals 
  • Score reading and analysis
  • Creation and composition

Upon successful completion of the program, students are granted a Regional Strings Medal and a Certificate of Achievement.  Some students will be awarded a Certificate of Distinction.


3. Who can apply to the Regional Strings Program?

Anyone!  As long as you meet the boundary requirements, all students can apply for this program.  Many of our students are beginners when they enter the program. We also carefully consider placement of experienced players to ensure that they are always challenging themselves and continuing their musical journey.


4. How can I apply for the Regional Strings Program?

Applications will be available online at


5. Is an audition required for the program?

There is a participation component for all interested applicants.  Beginner students will only be considered based on an interview.  Experienced and Advanced players will complete a performance task along with their interview.  Please see the Participation Component tab for more specific details.


6. We don't live close to Central Peel.  How will my son/daughter get to and from school?

The Regional Strings Program at Central Peel Secondary School is open to all students who live north of the 401. In keeping with the Board's policy for regional programs, bussing is not provided. Paid transportation, however, is available to students.  Central Peel is conveniently located at the corner of Kennedy Road and Queen Street in Brampton.  The Kennedy Bus line (north, south) stops in the front of the school.  The Zum Line runs frequently along Queen Street (east, west). 


Please note that The Peel District School Board policy states that students who choose to leave a Regional Program must return to their "home" school, and may not continue at the Regional program school if they are not participating in the program.


7. Does my son/daughter have to buy the instrument?

No.  Students will be required to acquire an instrument for their study but many rent or rent-to-own their instrument.  Students who play the double bass or cello may use a school instrument during class sessions to avoid travelling with the larger instruments each day. Check out local music suppliers, such as Long and McQuade, to ensure you have a quality instrument.


Student photo
Copyright © 2021 Peel District School Board