Help your child prepare for tests
Many students will become anxious at the thought of writing a test. Anxiety about an upcoming test can affect a child's behaviour, thoughts and actions. Here are some ways you can help minimize anxiety at test time:
Organize & Prepare
· Encourage your child not to leave assignments, studying and homework to the last
· Schedule time for review and work on assignments each day.
· Establish a regular time of the day for homework, studying etc.
· Make the home a homework-friendly environment where learning is regular routine.
· Remove distractions like the television, stereo, telephone when studying.
· Tell your child to make sure tests and due dates are marked in their agenda.
· Encourage your child to think about what, when, where, why and how when
· Develop practice tests and help them anticipate questions.
· Review previous exercises.
· When appropriate, encourage your child to pair up with a friend to review information and
· Build learning into family activities - suggest keeping a journal, writing a report or a news
article about family events, outings or trips.
Be in the know
· Check out the curriculum for your child’s grade level (available as PDF files at
· Ask your child’s teacher about major topics studied and how these topics are structured -
homework, assignments, exercises
· Use your child’s agenda to communicate with their teacher - ask questions, check for
homework tips, etc.