Construction SHSM at FMSS
In order to complete a SHSM in Design Build students:
1. Complete a package of 9 specific credits (see below chart).
2. Complete 5 Industry Certifications PLUS 2 certifications of your choice.
3. Obtain job experience (ex. Co-op work experience, job shadowing, job twinning).
4. Gain "Reach Ahead Experience" (ex. through an apprenticeship program or post-secondary institution).
- 4 Major Credits (at least one credit in Grade 11 and one credit in Grade 12)
- *TDJ3M9 must be selected in Grade 11*
- TDJ3M9 is a 2-Credit Package in Tech Design and Construction
- 2 English Credits (one in Grade 11 and one in Grade 12)
- 2 Math Credits (one in Grade 11 and one in Grade 12)
- 1 Elective Course in Science or Business (in Grade 11 or Grade 12)
- **Co-Op (in Grade 11)
Design Build List of Approved Credits
- 5 Compulsory Certifications:
- Standard First Aid
- CPR Level C
- Working at Heights
- Health and Safety
- 2 Elective Certifications from the following:
- Confined Space Awareness
- Computer-Aided Design and Computer-Aided Manufacturing (CAD/CAM)
- Customer Service
- and others
How To Apply:
Grade 10 Students Only:
- Complete the Application Form
- Submit a signed permission form to your guidance counsellor
The Selection Process
Successful applicants will be selected based on the following criteria:
- Successful credit accumulation
- Student attendance record
- Selection of co-op in Grade 11
Successful applicants will be notified in May and will meet with a guidance counsellor to adjust courses for the upcoming school year.
Design Build SHSM Brochure