Skip Navigation LinksHeart Lake Secondary School > About Us > Frequently Asked Questions
About Us
Print this page

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. I just moved from another country, how do I register my teen for school?

The Peel board's We Welcome the World centres provide a range of services to help make the transition to school a smooth one for newcomer students and their families. Multilingual staff are available to help with academic assessments, registration, settlement services and parent institutes in many languages. Parents can also learn about adult education opportunities. For more information, call 905-366-8791. The centres are funded by Citizenship and Immigration Canada, and are located at the following locations:

• 510 Balmoral Drive (located at Bramalea Secondary School. The entrance for the Welcome Centre is on the east side of Bramalea Secondary School, facing Bramalea Rd. The parking entrance is on the east side of Balmoral Dr.)​
• 3131 Morning Star Drive, Mississauga (Malton)
• 100 Elm Drive West, Mississauga

Q. When does the school year start?


See our calendar​ for important school year dates including the start and end of the school year. 

Q. If a teen moves out of the school’s area, are they automatically withdrawn?

No, students will stay on the school’s roster until they register at another school.​

Q. How do I get a copy of my high school transcript?


​Contact the last high school you attended, as schools keep student transcripts for 55 years. You can find a full list of Peel schools along with contact information at http://www.peelschools.org/schools. If the high school you attended no longer exists, contact school support services at 905-890-1010 (or 1-800-668-1146) ext. 2640

Q. Which school is the best one for my teen?


Students in Peel attend a home school as determined by the board's official school boundaries. To find out what your teen’s home school is, please visit the Find Your School tool on the board website.

We have many excellent schools in the Peel District School Board. If you are making the decision about what area to move to, it is important to consider the type of community or neighbourhood that would best meet your family's needs. Once you have identified two or three possible communities within Peel that meet your needs, then look at the school(s) for each area. Contacting each school directly for more information about what they offer will give you more information on which to base your final decision. You can also attend an information night during the fall to learn more about what is offered your local secondary school.

Visit school websites for an overview of what you can expect at each site, and look them up on Twitter--many of our secondary schools have a vibrant Twitter account that gives you a glimpse into their day-to-day​​​.

You can find a full list of Peel schools along with contact information at http://www.peelschools.org/schools/

Q. I am looking to improve my English skills, does the Peel board offer related courses for adults?


The Peel District School Board offers English as a Second Language (ESL) programs for newcomers to Canada whose first language (or mother tongue) is not English. The goal is to strengthen listening, speaking, reading and writing skills. For more information, visit http://www.peelschools.org/adulteducation/Pages/default.aspx or contact the Adult Education Centres. For Mississauga call 905-270-6000 ext. 400 and for Brampton call 905-791-6700 ext. 2

Q. I am an adult looking to complete my high school diploma, what do I need to do?


​I​f you are over the age of 18 and want to complete your high school diploma, we can help you select the courses you need. Both day and night courses are offered, as well as the opportunity to gain valuable work experience through co-op education programs. To find out more call 905-270-6000 ext 420 or visit ​​​http://www.peelschools.org/adulteducation/Pages/default.aspx

Q. What special programs are available for students in the Peel board?


The Peel board gives students opportunities to develop and explore their skills in particular areas of interest through the following regional programs: International Business and Technology (IBT), International Baccalaureate (IB), SciTech , Regional Strings, Flexography and Regional Arts.  For more information visit


Q. What is an Ontario Student Record?


The Ontario Student Record (OSR) is an ongoing, confidential record of a student’s education progress. Authorized by the Education Act and protected by the Freedom of Information Act and Protection of Privacy Act, an OSR is established for each student enrolled in an Ontario elementary or secondary school. The record is housed at the student’s current school and moves with the student as they transition from one school to the next. If a student leaves Peel to attend another school in Ontario, the OSR is forwarded to the new school upon request.  If the OSR is not requested or the student leaves Ontario, the OSR is housed in the last Peel school that the student attended.
The OSR contains familiar documents that parents can view at any given time. OSR contents include:
  • biographical data
  • documentation file, containing (if applicable): verification of a custody arrangement, change-of-name order, placements decisions, suspension letters, psycho-educational assessment report, identification and placement decision letters, and registration forms
  • information concerning special health conditions\
  • name(s) of student’s parent(s) or guardian(s)
  • Ontario Student Transcript (secondary school only) – the cumulative record of a student’s successful completion of secondary school courses
  • photographs may also be attached
  • record of the student’s accumulated instruction in French as a second language, if applicable
  • report cards
  • school(s) attended
Every student, and parents or guardians of students under 18 years of age have the right to examine the student’s OSR and receive a copy of its contents. Supervisory officers, school administration and teachers may also access a student’s OSR for the purpose of improving the instruction of the student. Written permission is requested for any outside agency or personnel to access the OSR.
Contact your school principal for details of the procedure to review your child’s OSR.
If you would like to learn more about your child’s OSR, visit the Ontario Ministry of Education web site at www.edu.gov.on.ca.

Q. I want to meet with my teen’s counsellor, vice principal, principal or teacher. Do I just come to the school?

All meetings are by appointment. Please call the school in advance to book an appointment.

Q. If my teen is going to be absent from school, what is required?

If a student is under 18, a parent/guardian must call the school or provide a note (when returning) regarding the reason and length of time for being absent. If over 18, a student must notify the school or provide a note about the reason and length of time for being absent.
Student photo
Copyright © 2021 Peel District School Board