Information & Communications Technology (ICT) SHSM
This two year Specialist High Skills Major program in Information and Communications Technology at HLSS will provide students with a strong foundation for entrance into a wide variety of technological careers, including: digital media, computer programming, television broadcasting, film production, engineering, architecture, and graphic design, to name a few.
Students will also have the opportunity to participate in the following through their involvement with this SHSM program:
- Visits to post-secondary schools, including: Sheridan College, Humber College, and UOIT
- The Robotics Club and related competitions
- The Peel Technological Skills Challenge
- Graphic Design projects for the school and the ICT SHSM program
- Attend Guest Lectures (including people from industry and post-secondary related programs)
- Field Trips to high tech Industry Partners, Film Festivals, and related Competitions
- Obtain specialized training in a number of the following:
- Animation Software
- Production Lighting
- Computer Programming Applications
- First Aid
- Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS)
All of the above is free to students who sign up for the Specialist High Skills Major program in Information & Communications Technology at HLSS. Students will have the opportunity to complete their SHSM ICT program during their grade eleven and twelve years. Upon completion, students will graduate with a Red Seal designation on their diploma, identifying them as having completed specialized training in the information and communications technology sector. This designation may assist students with post-secondary admissions, and/or direct entrance into the workplace.
Cooperative Education Credits
Cooperative education courses provide authentic learning experiences in a workplace setting that enable students to refine, extend, apply, and practise the sector-specific knowledge and skills acquired in SHSM programs. Each SHSM pathway requires that students complete a minimum of two credits in cooperative education in a work placement in the Information and Communications Technology sector. Some of the co-op opportunities for our students include: City of Brampton, Graphic Arts/Design, Rogers TV and Mississauga News.
View the information powerpoint here: ICTSHSM.pptx