All Peel board schools closed Feb. 21 due to one-day strike
The four largest education unions in Ontario, including the Elementary Teachers' Federation of Ontario (ETFO) and the Ontario Secondary School Teachers' Federation (OSSTF), announced a one-day strike in schools across the province on Feb. 21, 2020.
As a result, all Peel board elementary and secondary schools will be closed to kindergarten to grade 12 students on Friday, Feb. 21.
You do not need to report your child/teen's absence on this date. This will be done for you. If there are any changes, we will communicate with families as soon as possible.
On Friday, Feb. 21:
- Full-day child care programs (i.e. infant, toddler and preschool programs) will run.
- Some before- and after-school program providers will run full-day programs for students who are currently enrolled in before- and after-school programs, as they would on PA Days. However, some providers will not run programs. Please check with your child care provider directly.
- EarlyOn/Child & Family Learning Centres (CFLC) programs will not be open.
- All Co-op placements, including those taking place off school property, will be cancelled.
- Dual Credit programming will continue. Students in Dual Credit programs are to report to their college locations, as previously scheduled.
- Evening permits will continue as usual in both elementary and secondary schools.
As changes in strike action can happen at any time, it is important that you stay connected:
- Visit the Peel board website at http://www.peelschools.org/labour.
- Follow the Peel board on social media—follow @PeelSchools on Twitter and/or like our page on Facebook.
- Subscribe to your school's website—look for "Sign up for school news" on the home page.
- Watch for updates on local news outlets—television, radio, newspaper.
We ask for your ongoing patience and understanding during this legal job action. Staff remain committed to the success and well-being of all students. Like you, we continue to hope for a swift resolution to the education challenges we are currently facing in Ontario.