What is the Regional Strings Program?
The Port Credit Secondary School Regional Strings program provides a year-long secondary school program for violin, viola, cello and bass. Students have the opportunity to explore the many facets of string playing through
- Advanced Strings: This program is best suited for advanced strings students. To be considered for this program, students should have at least two years of experience on their instrument. This program is geared towards students who are willing to take on leadership rolls.
- Intermediate Strings: This program is best suited for students who have one or two years of experience on a violin, viola, cello, or double bass. A placement audition is required.
- Beginning Strings: This program is best suited for students who have very little or no prior experience on the violin, viola, chello, or double bass. There is an interview for this program and students will be given a listening test to determine their musical aptitude.
Musical opportunities range from full symphonic orchestra to small ensembles, to solo performances accompanied by orchestra. A certificate is granted upon completion of four years of the Regional Strings Program.
What does the Regional Strings Program include?
Through four years of study, students have the opportunity to learn through various methods, including:
- Regular professional coaching sessions
- Performances in the community
- Education excursion to Europe in alternate years
- Attendance at live concerts and rehearsals
- Score reading/analysis repertoire studied
- Master classes with Canada’s leading quartets
- A focus on literacy through musical study
Who can apply to the Regional Strings Program?
- Advanced strings players wishing to enhance their skills and expand their repertoire through the Advaned Strings program.
- Intermediate string players who wish to continue instruction in an intermediate string class.
- Students with no experience who are keen to begin study of the violin, viola, cello or bass in a beginning string class.
What are the advantages for the advanced players?
Development of string ensemble playing through many aspects of performance:
- Opportunities to perform solo with an orchestra
- Expansion of string orchestra repertoire
- Opportunity to study and perform in duet, trio, quartet ensemble
- Opportunities to achieve overall improved grade point average
- Leadership opportunities
How can I apply for the Regional Strings Program?
On line application process will open November 9th @ 8:30 a.m. and close November 23 @ 3 p.m.
Where is Regional Strings?
Strings is located at Port Credit Secondary School, 70 Mineola Road East, in Mississauga – served by Mississauga Transit’s Route 19 bus (Highway 10/Hurontario Street) and close to the Port Credit GO train station. The school does not provide transportation, but we will support families in organizing car pools